Lucky Number 7

As far as I can tell this is the seventh kind of sail I have made.  I think I will like it better than the balanced lug rig because it is so easy to reef.  Thank you Matt Layden for the great ideas and advice!

Here is the sail at it's full one meter square size.


Below the sail is reefed about half way.


And here it is reefed as small as it will go.



I tried to put too much edge curve into this sail to get the draft I wanted.  I learned my lesson. With modern non stretchy sail cloth you want to have very little edge shaping. I should have copied Matt on this aspect as well and put in darts. But I would have not learned as much that way.  I think I'll like this 1.5 ounce cloth for this winter spring sail, but I may go back to 3/4 ounce for the larger one I plan to make later.

This sail has some special tape from Sailrite and no sewing has been done.  It will be interesting to see if any stitching will be needed by summer.

I'm getting to where I can make a sail in a day so let me know if you'd like one.  I'd love to have races at the local lakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment