Are they real?


Check out the story here:  http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/30833/kayaker+enjoys+amazingly+close+encounter+with+two+humpback+whales/

Those seem a lot bigger than any humpback whales I've seen.  The closest I got was less than a half mile off the beach from Ocracoke Island.  I'd say the whale was about 40 feet long, but it is hard to estimate the size of something that big swimming under your boat.  The ones in the picture above have such big heads sticking out of the water they must be over a 100 feet long!  I've never seen them feed like that. It must be pretty special to watch.

I have to admit that because I spend a lot of time outdoors I'm pretty indifferent to most wildlife I see, but I'm always excited to see whales and dolphins.  Here is some more info about the North Carolina humpbacks that I have seen on our coast between December and February:  http://thepocomokepubliceye.blogspot.com/2010/05/sick-whale-euthanized-off-coast-of.html

No comments:

Post a Comment